RE: [SLUG] Browsing Windows from Linux - More - Better?

From: Matt (matt@sandmcomputers.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 11:19:50 EDT

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 10:20, Clay, John wrote:
> I then ran: # smbpasswd -r tlh-file-print -j lfrg-tlh
>
> The samba box was added to the nt domain.
>
> I'm logged onto samba as root and a root account exists on the pdc.
>
> I fire up nautilus and can see computers on the network but still can't
> drill down into the pdc (tlh-file-print) and see the shares.
>
> "# nmblookup -A tlh-file-print" returns info on the status of the pdc.
>
> Any more ideas as to how to resolve this?

The following command should list all shares on the pdc as well as the
computer browse list from the entire domain.
$ smbclient -L pdc

> Also, aside from browsing to a share, how does one "map" a share in linux?

To mount a Windows share:
$ smbmount //<remote_nt_box>/share /path/to/linux_directory \
-o username=<nt_username>
Password: <nt_password>
OR
$ mount -t smbfs -o username=<nt_username> //<remote_nt_box>/share \
/path/to/linux_directory
Password: <nt_password>

The linux directory must already exist. For example, I usually create
directories on the local linux filesystem that correspond with the nt
servers and shares.
/domain/server_name1/share1
/domain/server_name1/share2
/domain/server_name2/share1
etc.

I then mount the Windows shares against the existing directories:
$ smbmount //pdc/share1 /domain/pdc/share1 -o username=<nt_username>

Then all you have to do is browse to the local directory to access the
remote share -- similar to mapping a local drive on a native Windows
box. Unmounting the directories can be done with the umount or smbumount
commands.

Matt