Re: [SLUG] Looking for an answer to RCS

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 21:23:14 EDT

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:57:49AM -0400, Mike Manchester wrote:

> I would like to store all my documents under RCS. That part is easy. But
> what I really would like is to have the documents stored on a central
> server, so that I can get, update and save them from anyone of my
> computers. I have found information on how to run CVS to do this. But
> that's over kill for me. I just document revisions and that's all no
> project control etc. Everything I can find on CVS/RCS doesn't say
> anything about running or storing revisions on a central server unless
> you us CVS and I've heard there are security concerns with running CVS.
> In all my searching of the Internet I was unable to find any good
> information on setting something like this up. Can something like this
> be done? If so how do I go about doing it?

CVS uses RCS formatted files to store its repository data. In addition,
it adds some administrative files. Rather than having to check in/out
individual files, CVS handles groups of files as needed. Much simpler
than RCS alone. Source Forge projects (including one I admin) have the
option of using CVS to store revisions, so it's really not that hard.

Ronan will tell you all you need to know about it.

Paul