[SLUG] Greenstar and SLUG

From: Paul Swider (swider@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 08:44:37 EDT

Hello all,

I've recently moved to this area and want to find some linux
assistance. I'm working for a company bringing IT to remote
locations.
http://www.greenstar.org/introduction.htm
Among our interests is using linux systems in these
circumstances. Before I can deploy, however, I have to feel
confident using such systems myself.

I've played with a few distros and am getting comfortable
with installs and configurations. I've settled, for the
moment, on Mandrake. But I need to know more.

My next step is to learn how to install other software on my
Mandrake (or other?) system. This may appear trivial to some
but I'm still puzzled by it, can't understand a universal
method. After that, I want to then compile CDs with a distro
and other software that I can send to these remote
locations, with instructions, so others can do their own
installations. Another way to solve this would be to create
a disk image that would, more or less, install itself,
though I gather this would be highly hardware dependent and
so problematic. These last two notions are not, I don't
think, identical but you can see where I'm going with this.

So I need to learn myself but also then be able to teach.
And I need to unlearn, wean myself from the Windows
mentality (or at least dual-boot my brain). I've bought
books and read online materials but still struggle, perhaps
because I've read the wrong things, perhaps because it
doesn't fit my learning style (whatever that means).

In short, I'm looking for some guidance on these topics. I'd
gladly sit down with a good teacher for a couple hours and
likely be independently on my way, an existing zealous
advocate newly empowered with real skills. Are there any
patient educators out there willing to help me try to extend
linux to the billions where it's most needed? I think
there's plenty of business opportunity in this, too, and
would gladly entertain such notions downstream but first
things first.

Thanks,
Paul

--