Re: [SLUG] Greenstar and SLUG

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 09:32:34 EDT

Paul Swider wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've recently moved to this area and want to find some linux
> assistance. I'm working for a company bringing IT to remote
> locations.
> http://www.greenstar.org/introduction.htm
> Among our interests is using linux systems in these
> circumstances. Before I can deploy, however, I have to feel
> confident using such systems myself.
>
> I've played with a few distros and am getting comfortable
> with installs and configurations. I've settled, for the
> moment, on Mandrake. But I need to know more.
>
> My next step is to learn how to install other software on my
> Mandrake (or other?) system. This may appear trivial to some
> but I'm still puzzled by it, can't understand a universal
> method. After that, I want to then compile CDs with a distro
> and other software that I can send to these remote
> locations, with instructions, so others can do their own
> installations. Another way to solve this would be to create
> a disk image that would, more or less, install itself,
> though I gather this would be highly hardware dependent and
> so problematic. These last two notions are not, I don't
> think, identical but you can see where I'm going with this.
>
> So I need to learn myself but also then be able to teach.
> And I need to unlearn, wean myself from the Windows
> mentality (or at least dual-boot my brain). I've bought
> books and read online materials but still struggle, perhaps
> because I've read the wrong things, perhaps because it
> doesn't fit my learning style (whatever that means).
>
> In short, I'm looking for some guidance on these topics. I'd
> gladly sit down with a good teacher for a couple hours and
> likely be independently on my way, an existing zealous
> advocate newly empowered with real skills. Are there any
> patient educators out there willing to help me try to extend
> linux to the billions where it's most needed? I think
> there's plenty of business opportunity in this, too, and
> would gladly entertain such notions downstream but first
> things first.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
> --
> Paul Swider
> pswider@e-greenstar.com
> Greenstar
> http://www.greenstar.org/introduction.htm
> Cell 727.776.9979
> eFax 208.248.1869
> http://www.e-greenstar.com/pswider.htm

Paul-
    This group will give great support, and will answer almost any
specific question that you might have. The books are a better start to
just 'learn' in general. Once you have digested a bit of the books,
here is a tip that will help: pick a specific task (e.g. get apache to
show simple web pages, install MySQL, set-up an IMAP server, etc). SLUG
will be able to help you and/or point you in the right direction to
solve one problem at a time.

    For general learning, and hands-on help, come to the SLUG meetings.
  Attendance seems to be best at Tampa and Dunedin. You can bring in a
machine, and someone will help you perform specific tasks (including
installing Linux and getting any bizarre hardware to work).

--ronan