RE: [SLUG] Need Svc Manuals

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@fewt.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 19:49:26 EDT

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 19:29, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> I have to take the several of them apart and then attempt to build up
> a couple of good ones out of the bits and pieces, problem is that there
> are screws that are of the same diameter but different length, the
> long ones in the wrong place can do major damage, I need to get the
> diags so I can make sure I get all the screws in the right place.
> In order to get it down to where I can build up a machine out of
> others, I am going to really have to tear it down the the basics.

Mark them with colored tape or a sharpie, this has always worked for me.
I have worked on hundreds of notebooks and can count the errors I've
made replacing parts/screws on one hand. ;-)

> I know one thing, when ever we look at laptops again, Toshiba will
> NOT be on our list of laptops, one of the requirements will be the
> availability of the service manual on the machine to the owner.

That probably knocks every notebook vendor off the list. Service manuals
are really not geared towards end users. That's what Authorized service
centers have built their market on. (Just my opinion mind you.)

> Their response to my question of why they did not sell them or
> in some way have them available to the public was that they only
> sell them to "authorized service shops" Hey even Motorola will
> sell you their Radio Service Software which allows you to change
> the radio in all sort of ways, all you have to do is produce the
> money.

That's great Motorola will sell you the manuals but it's a rarity at
best for a company to do so.

-Andrew