RE: [SLUG] Here's a crazy idea...

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 21:08:33 EDT

There is also interest in the Amateur radio community in doing
some sort of combined network, you see the 802.11 stuff on 2.4
Ghz is in a ISM band which goes from 2.417 Ghz to 2.48,5 Ghz.
The Amateur band runs from 2.390 to 2.450 Ghz, so the bands
overlap, and those of us with amateur licenses have found out
how to get the 803.11 radios to run down in the lower part of
the amateur band, some of the radios provide for programming
in other countries which includes those frequencies outside
of our part 15 band.

Part of the idea has been to field a network of access points
which would serve both the part 15 user and the amateur user.
There are some legal issues which have to be handled but by
combining forces there are some very interesting possibilities
out there, and of course by using the amateur end with it's
higher power those who have the license would be able to access
the higher power ports from greater distance. Also the limitations
on coax, connectors, antennas etc change when you move from
Part 15 to Part 97 (the rules under which Amateur Radio operators
must operate)

For those interested here is a page to start out on, it is a bit
dated in some ways but there is a load of web pages out there
dedicated to using Part 15 devices under Part 97.

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/plan.html

Some of us also are playing around with LASER type links
which of course would be relatively short haul but with
a stable support on each end you could go a reasonable
distance, (as it turns out the swaying of the support
structures is more of a annoyance than the things that
people usually think about such as precip and fog, there
is one more annoyance that most people do not think about
and that is the varying temperature of the air parcels
that the beam is going through, with no sway on either
end the beam will still "walk around a point" due to
changes in refractivity of the air it is going through)
and the bw on the pipe is like nothing on ANY
RF path. In fact it is probably much better than the
source/sink bw that the laser link is talking too unless
that is fibre...

There are a lot of ways of getting data into your
neighbors home, it just demands some ingenuity and I
think a bit of thinking out of the usual container,
but as one person pointed out the real thing that will
make/break this is "collecting and administering the
money"

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com