RE: [SLUG] Here's a crazy idea...

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 11:40:19 EDT

Yes but for this all you have to do is a theory test and in the
Tampa bay area there are several training sessions going on most
any time of the year, though summer may not be too good, but from
seeing some of your print I suspect that all you need to do is get
a book on part 97 and go over it, and the ARRL license manual, though
I think the question pool is also available fom the FCC for download.

> Anything in the 5Ghz spectrum yet? (802.11a?)

The gear is there, but hams are notoriously cheap, until the price
comes down I fear that only those that do not worry about cost or
can pass the cost to someone else will be playing with it.

Also there was a series of work done using gunnplexers at 10Ghz,
same can be applied to the 24Ghz band which is also a amateur band.
These would allow for point to point links or if you used a skeleton
slot antenna you could also have point to multipoint as in access point
to users, you would probably need some sort of token passing protocol
or other protocol that would avoid the "hidden terminal effect" which
causes CSMA to break down because the users can not hear each other
transmitting so they start sending atop one another, if one is several
DB higher than the other it will win out if not you go into retry hell.

I suspect that the higher freq stuff will initially be used as trunks
between switch/node sites. And the 2.4 stuff will be the user access
stuff, it is much easier to spread the cost of the trunks about a load
of users than to ask each user to come up with the cost of the higher
speed gear, just give them a good path that keeps the 10mb pipes full
and they will be happy for quite some time particularly if they are
moving from some of the other alternatives.

> Interesting. I can see laset links between buildings in a MAN
> (metropolitan area network), particularly to share bandwidth in a
> shared-tenant service model.

Yes there are several companies that are or were trying to do that
I Think one is or was called Terabeam, another Broadbeam, and I seem
to recall a 3rd. AT&T appears to be working with Terabeam on this.
Also appears that Terabeam is doing work with mm microwave.

> And, in the end, it is the money that really gets you. Now, should a
> public bandwidth source be nailed down, you could leave the burden of
> purchasing gear up to the "subscriber" neighbor that wants wireless
> service. Who can't justify purchasing a bit of gear to eliminate a
> reoccurring bill? Now, granted, lightning may take out that gear
> periodically, and weathering of outside gear means a fairly constant
> replacement cost as well - but otherwise, it is avoiding some of the
> nastiness that are the other forms of broadband access.
>
> Now, there's nothing stopping us from using RoadRunner or other unwary
> providers for uplink feeds, but should they find you they may
> prosecute.
> The primary method they seem to be using is merely checking the IPV4
> address that you appear as when they connect out using your
> AP. What is
> stopping a wireless effort from using IPV6 with the Freenet6 project
> (www.freenet6.net) to tunnel that traffic via 6to4 -
> effectively hiding
> the traffic from the upstream ISP? (ok, they *can* filter
> 6to4 traffic,
> but will they?) There are methods of tunnelling that address some of
> these concerns.
>
> If you haven't played with IPv6 much yet, I highly recommend visiting
> freenet6 and giving it a try :)

I am going to go and take a look at it. Course I wonder if you have
a commercial account with RR (I think they are $90/mo) it you are
bound by the same rules?

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com