Re: [SLUG] Thinkpad 760E/EL?

From: btt@nethouse.com
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 10:32:40 EDT

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 08:28:18AM -0400, Andrew Wyatt wrote:
> On Sunday 25 August 2002 07:37 am, btt@nethouse.com wrote:
> > Hello...
> >
> > I have the option to purchase an IBM Thinkpad 760E for $389. It
> > appears to be in good condition. Does anyone have a laptop like this
> > who as succesfully installed linux and could comment on how well or
> > how not-so-well it runs. Are the pcmcia cards (like, say, for LAN)
> > pretty stable under linux?
>
> You will have to run Xfree 3.3.6 with this notebook, and if it has a
> DSTN you will hate the screen with a passion. There is also a TFT
> model, I hated the screen on mine so badly that I purchased a screen
> from a 760xl and "made it fit" lol. It's probably only a P120 or
> P133 anyway so in my opinion it's not worth $389.00. You can
> probably find a decent celeron 300 or 400 for that price.

Well, if 3.3.6 is all I'm going to be able to run, I think I'l just go
and pick up an abacus or something. :) Thanks for the tip. The more I
think about it, forking over the $$ for a good, new one is probably
the way to go. They are just sooo expensive. :-/

Curiously, how many people on this list use linux or *bsd on their
laptop and if so what kind of laptop it is and how you do like it?