Re: RE: [SLUG] Hard Drive brand question

From: A2L1 (A2L1@gte.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 11:03:03 EDT

Well just to add to the mix, I think one is just as good as
the other. I use Maxtor and have for at least 7 years now.
I mix them with WD and have had no out of the ordinary
problems. A few years back I did have 2 Maxtors fail on me
but the rma was great, they send you the new drive and you
return the bad one in a prepaid container(the box the
replacement came in with a prepaid label) Maxtor also
offers an upgrade if the drive you have and dma is no
longer being produced. In closing I think all are equally
good and the price is the determining factor. As with
anything there are certain "bad" ones but the business
being as competitive as it is I think every manufacturer
will strive to be on an "equal" level with the competition.
I did have an issue with the WD rma policy because you have
to return the drive first, unlike Maxtor, but that is an
inconvenience not a problem
My 2 cents worth!!
                         A J

On Monday 26 August 2002 09:47, you wrote:
> I lost 5 maxtor 20GB drives last week, they ran for about
> a week before they died.
>
> -Andrew
>
> You Wrote:
>
> DATE: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:17:50
> FROM: "Craig Zeigler" craig@penguindevelopment.com
> TO: slug@nks.net
> SUBJECT: RE: [SLUG] Hard Drive brand question
>
> Although the general consensus is IBMVil, I have yet to
> have one fail. I've lost 16 of the 18 Maxtor drives I've
> owned over the past two years, so they are definitely on
> my to avoid list. As for WD, I used to love them, their
> quality dropped, and I haven't used them since. I've
> heard some good things, but am sticking with what works
> (YAY IBM)

- --