Re: [SLUG] Loading a driver permanently

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 22:22:54 EDT

You should load it into an init script. You can either put it into a runlevel
directory, e.g. /etc/rc3.d/ with a separate script name somthing like
'S55advansys' (the number signifying the run order for that script during the
runlevel change), or load it into rc.sysinit sometime after you've mounted
your drives. All you'd have to do is this:

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/modprobe advansys #probably all you really need
/sbin/insmod advansys # probably redundant

remember that rmmod, insmod, and modprobe are the same binary file now with
different names - have been for about 2-3 years (a lot of people don't
realize this). Usually, a call to modprobe with the name of the module or its
alias (from /etc/modules.conf) should load a module if it's not loaded, and
remove it if it is.

Many distros autoload anything in modules.conf at boot time - I think
Mandrake does. But that's OK, I usually change just about everything about a
system soon after loading anyway.

If anything here doesn't work they way I said it does, I never said it ;)

Glen