Re: [SLUG] star office question

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 20:40:00 EDT

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 00:11, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:
<snip query>

> Sure, try open office, basically same as star office except the
> proprietary Sun code was removed and the gnu programmers re-wrote it.
> I am using it, I like it, BUT it will only print to a postscript
> printer, so I installed ghostscript the postscript emulator and not
> only does it not work, lpr is also dead.
<snip>
        I print with an HP 612C using aps. In Open Office, under the printer
setup, I use generic printer "lp" which passes through the asp filter
and prints as well as you might expect from an HP 612C. My setup here
at home is Debian stable. I am sure CUPS will work too, but I was more
familiar with aps, when I set up this box originally.
        Here, I could be wrong, but I think if you choose "generic printer" in
Open Office it uses your current "lp." So if you can print with vi or
emacs or even by typing lpr /etc/hosts, and it works, you should be able
to use "generic printer." It works for me.

The Logan

--
20:30:01 up 37 days, 12:09, 1 user, load average: 1.15, 0.77, 0.50
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_104.html