Re: [SLUG] New Linux Users Group Forming

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 17:50:55 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 17:27, Jan Mason wrote:
> Ian, on this page on your web site:
>
> http://ian.blenke.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1
>
> you have seven different copies of your resume saved in different
> formats. One is in html and the other six are all Microsoft formats.
> You are not even giving the open source formats a chance. Looks like
> your using Microsoft in your buisness just like David Meyer is doing.
> Nothing wrong with that. I use both too. I guess that makes you a
> Windows oriented user.
>
> "Honestly, I use Linux on the desktop exclusively."

Well, it's true. The one windows boxen I created that with over a year
and a half ago was re-installed as a Linux workstation shortly after
obtaining full time work. Today, I do have VMWare images at home to
"test" software and aid in end-user debugging, and I have used the
CodeWeavers Wine plugin to start up IE5.5 once in a blue moon, but I
honestly do NOT use a Windows desktop on a day-to-day basis.

It's a sad thing, but most companies *demand* a Microsoft Word .doc
formatted resume. Usually Office97, but more and more Office 2000 and
even Office XP. Leaving a "StarOffice" document out there would only
serve to confuse potential employers.

I also have a StarOffice .sdw format up there as well.

The only "standard" format up there is arguably RTF, which is still
largely a Microsoft creation. Can you honestly name another one?

Notice also that I have not updated the resume with references to my
work here at NKS.

An older version of the same resume is available in StarOffice format
here:

        http://ian.blenke.com/resume/old/resume.sdw
        http://ian.blenke.com/resume/old/resume.sxw

OpenOffice also readily works with those legacy Microsoft file formats
just fine now. Today, there's really no reason for me to use Microsoft
software to work with Microsoft formatted documents.

When working with others in today's business world, sometimes it becomes
neccesary to use file formats you would not otherwise prefer to use.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com