Re: [SLUG] A New Project!!!!

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 18:11:28 EDT

Mario Lombardo wrote:
> Ronan, seriously I think it costs more than $30k/lb. for lofting? They
> have to position it as well, true? When you said Zaurus, I thought of a
> hardened case and RF equipment. It would weigh hmmm five pounds or so?

I think that NASA charges commercial companies $30K/lb for LEO.
Geosynchronous should be much more expensive.

> Now how many people would contribute money to have that thing lofted to
> have a FREE network? I, for one, would chip in $100 and I'M BROKE!
> Sooo worst case $200000/100 = 2,000 people

If the satellites are in LEO, you have better latency times, but you
need some very exotic motor-driven antenna mounts to do communications.

> Better yet, why don't we unwind some old transformers and build us a
> rail gun? No fuel!

Florida is close enough to the equator to make a rail gun launch, but it
is much too close to sea level.

--ronan