Re: [SLUG] A New Project!!!!

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 09:46:01 EDT

> > To get anything into orbit, it has to meet and maintain 'escape
> > velocity' after it has reached its orbital path. For LEO, this is
> > approx. 7 miles per second.
> Maybe after I talk the International Astrophysical Union into lowering a
> geosynchronous orbit from 22,241 miles out to a more manageable (in
> terms of latency) 1000 miles or so, perhaps I can get them to reduce
> escape velocity to, say, 2 miles per second. :)

God, how inefficient! Just have them redefine g as 1.0 m/s^2 -- that'll
bring Clarke orbits closer, reduce escape velocity, and bankrupt the
weight-loss industry. And then there's the nice side effect of
darwinating all the non-sf readers. It's as easy as a trip to Venus!

Sorry to wander off topic, but I'm getting a chance to make a P-200
class laptop into a Linux machine, and I'd like it to run OpenOffice.
Any suggestions on distro and/or WM that would work well on weird
hardware and not have too much overhead? I don't know laptops too well,
so I definitely don't want gentoo or debian. I want a psychic distro
that moves my mouse like a Ouija board to tell me what drivers to
install.

Ben