Re: [SLUG] A New Project!!!!

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 10:17:32 EDT

> Sorry to wander off topic, but I'm getting a chance to make a P-200
> class laptop into a Linux machine, and I'd like it to run OpenOffice.
> Any suggestions on distro and/or WM that would work well on weird
> hardware and not have too much overhead? I don't know laptops too well,
> so I definitely don't want gentoo or debian. I want a psychic distro
> that moves my mouse like a Ouija board to tell me what drivers to
> install.
>
> Ben

I had great luck with SuSE on several laptops (Compaq Armada, Toshiba
Satellite). You can choose to not use KDE (the SuSE default), or GNOME.
  WindowMaker or IceWM will be smaller and faster.

The SuSE installer found and set-up every piece of hardware on the
Compaq, except for the WinModem and the sound device. Running
'alsaconf' found the sound device and modified /etc/modules.conf;
downloading the binary WinModem driver got the internal modem working.
I didn't bother with the hibernation-partition stuff. I don't know if
it would have been possible to get that to work or not. It was a pretty
painless install.

--ronan