Re: [SLUG] ThinkNIC finds boot server but times out

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 10:10:44 EDT

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 16:14, John Clay wrote:
> I read in a "howto" that the tftp server supplied RH 7.2 supports
> "tsize" if you set "disable = no"

Cool. Debian doesn't. Again, this is a distribution thing. When PXE
first started catching on, I went through 6 different TFTP servers
trying to make everything happy - tsize was a pain at the time.

> A re-check of my dhcp.conf revealed that the filename specified in the
> server config article was not what was provided in the second article
> which addressed the client side config. Corrected and lo and behold
> thinknic finds the boot server.

Great! It sounds like you have your PXE DHCP options sorted out.

> However; I get a timeout error. Page three of article 2) (pxelinux
> section) mentions this as a possible result of pxelinux searching for
> the config file within /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ directory. I'm trying to
> sort it out now.

You should have a syslinux formatted config file in
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

Don't worry about the hex encoded filenames right away, just get the
default file working.

When you do get it working, just make a copy of that default file to a
file named with a 8 character hex representation of your IP address.

> I haven't started following the docs Ian mentioned - yet. I didn't want
> to blend
> multiple recipies for phear of getting completly lost.

Good idea ;)

> Both server and thinknic are configured well enough that the thinknic
> finds the dhcp
> server and gets an ip number.

Great!

> Here is what I see on screen next:
>
> TFTP
> PXE-T01: file not found
> TFTP
> PXE-T01: file not found
> PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - file not found

What do you see in your system logs? Take a look at /var/log/messages
(or just "grep tftp /usr/log/*") and see what file the client is asking
for. The server should be spitting out a little error message telling
you what file it cannot find.

> Is this where tftpd fails and is therefore the reason to use hpa-tftpd
> server? I'm
> guessing yes is the answer. I've looked around a little and haven't
> found an rpm for
> RH - do you know where one is hiding? Meantime I'll continue to look.

If you don't see anything about tftp in your server's system logs, you
might want to run tcpdump to find out what is happening to the tftp
request packets.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com