Re: [SLUG] tftp-server troubles with thin client setup

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 10:50:15 EDT

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, John Clay wrote:

> Did both your tftp and dhcp (you know, the ones I removed yesterday evening in
> preparation for installation of others) servers come from RH?

don't remember -- those work. Let's see:

At one large commercial site, it looks like I am using a dhcp
variant from Eric Harrison <eharrison@mail.mesd.k12.or.us> --
At another I run stock Red Hat with about 250 client hosts
(Macs, Windows, printer server, printers) in a 4 C wide
netmask (lots of specials and statics). That also has
multiple DHCP servers cross-communicating in a single network
segment space for 24/7 cross-failover.

I have packaged and used my own packaging of a later patch
level (dhcp-3.0pl1-2.src.rpm) as well with my ThinkNIC at
home (where I also run dhcp, tftp-server, and dns, with a
network boot set of clients), and it works fine:

   ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/local/ORC/dhcp/

[herrold@dell4 herrold]$ ssh server4.brook.tel
herrold@server4.brook.tel's password:
Last login: Wed Sep 11 20:55:22 2002 from dell4.inside.lan
[herrold@www herrold]$ rpm -qa | grep dhcp
dhcp-3.0-5_lts
dhcpcd-1.3.18pl8-13
[herrold@www herrold]$ rpm -qa | grep tftp
tftp-server-0.17-14
[herrold@www herrold]$ rpm -qi dhcp tftp-server
Name : dhcp Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version : 3.0 Vendor: (none)
Release : 5_lts Build Date: Wed 27 Feb 2002 11:36:31 PM EST
Install date: Thu 23 May 2002 05:06:35 AM EDT Build Host: k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us
Group : System Environment/Daemons Source RPM: dhcp-3.0-5_lts.src.rpm
Size : 706790 License: distributable
Description :
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is a protocol which allows
individual devices on an IP network to get their own network
configuration information (IP address, subnetmask, broadcast address,
etc.) from a DHCP server. The overall purpose of DHCP is to make it
easier to administer a large network. The dhcp package includes the DHCP
server and a DHCP relay agent.

You should install dhcp if you want to set up a DHCP server on your
network. You will also need to install the pump package, which provides
the DHCP client daemon, on client machines.
Name : tftp-server Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version : 0.17 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 14 Build Date: Sun 24 Jun 2001 11:46:53 PM EDT
Install date: Thu 23 May 2002 05:07:22 AM EDT Build Host: elliot.devel.redhat.com
Group : System Environment/Daemons Source RPM: tftp-0.17-14.src.rpm
Size : 35969 License: BSD
Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Protocol (TFTP).
Description :
The Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) is normally used only for
booting diskless workstations. The tftp-server package provides the
server for TFTP, which allows users to transfer files to and from a
remote machine. TFTP provides very little security, and should not be
enabled unless it is expressly needed. The TFTP server is run from
/etc/xinetd.d/tftp, and is disabled by default on Red Hat Linux systems.
[herrold@www herrold]$