Re: [SLUG] ThinkNIC/Thin Client networkboot = Stuck.

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 16:37:06 EDT

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 15:36, John Clay wrote:
> I've tried numerous configuration changes to the following files:
>
> /etc/dhcpd.conf
> opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
> /etc/inetd.d/tftp

The lts.conf has nothing to do with your problem yet. Either your
dhcpd.conf doesn't have the "filename" options set correctly for the
host, the file doesn't exist under /tftpboot, or your tftp server is
having a problem reading the file.

> I've also fired up tcpdump and looked at /var/logs/messages. tcpdump
> indicates a lot of arping going on but I'm unable to to draw make any use of
> it.

Don't worry about the arping. Worry about the tftp:

        # tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s 1500 -v port tftp

This is the traffic I need to see.

> CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 E0 06 F4 64 0E
> CLIENT IP: 192.168.0.1 MASK: 255.255.255.0 DHCP IP: 192.168.0.254

The DHCP serer is 192.168.0.254, I'm guessing this is your server.

> BOOT SERVER IP: 192.168.0.254

The TFTP server is 192.168.0.254 - the same IP. So your next-hop DHCP
option is set appropriately. Good.

> TFTP.
> PXE-T01: File not found
> TFTP.
> PXE-T01: File not found
> PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - File Not found

The PXE ROM could not tftp from the server. The error it is getting is
"file not found". So, I'm betting that either:

1. You've specified a non-existing file in your dhcpd.conf
2. The file is missing
3. The permissions on the file are wrong

Things to consider:
 - filenames may be relative (without slashes) or absolute (with a
   path and slashes). "ltsp-image" is relative, "/tftpboot/ltsp-image"
   is absolute.
 - the filename should automagically have /tftpboot prepended if
   using the tftp server "-s" option. the tftp server may or may not
   auto detect that you've already included an absolute path (it depends
   on the tftp server you are using)

All of these should be reported as errors in your /var/log/* logfiles
SOMEWHERE.

> If anyone is game to examine the following files I'll send them on to your
> email address and be ever so grateful.

Sure. I'll bite.

> default
> dhcpd.conf
> lts.conf
> tftp
> /var/log/messages
> logon.traffic (tcpdump output)

What does your messages file say again? What does the tcpdump output
show?

This stuff isn't easy. It's always some little gotcha that is mucking up
the works. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend any newbie begin to attempt
something this complex without a bit more understanding of how things
work.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com