Re: [SLUG] Partition type question

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 00:06:25 EDT

snip
> Does this have advantages over keeping /bin, /sbin, /lib, /etc/, /usr, and
> /opt together on the / partition?

   I have not been able to figure a reason to have more than one partition
on a hd while using LINUX, EXCEPT to minimize the nuisance of the non
journalizing file systems file system checks. (I LOVE the Reiser F.S.!)

   The disadvantage of partitioning up a drive into bits is you lock a fixed
amount of tracks to each partition and you can fill one up running out of
space with several nearly empty partitions next door.
and
   Directories serve the same purpose, (provide file separations that you
can see, your mind can visualize) look the same on the F.S. tree as
partitions, but they are of dynamic size.
   Drive failures are supposed to be covered in the chapter on backups.
(Modern drives are cheap, compared) tend to fail every 3 years, so upgrade
every two years, you will get twice the size for less money, more speed,
less power consumption and fresh meat. (keep the last one on the shelf
{with the operating system intact} as a backup) Just my opinion.

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm