[SLUG] Partition type question

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 12:42:04 EDT

I am going to transfer data from an old to a new harddrive. The new one is
double (40 gb) the size of the old (20 gb). The old has four partitions, one
for /, one for /boot, one for /home and one for swap. I believe these are
all primary partitions. I would like to have more partitions, namely one for
/var and /tmp together. Am I correct that I would need to use extended
partitions rather than primary?
Do extended partitions create any corruption problems for data as opposed to
primary partitions?
I noticed Russ Herrold puts each directory on a seperate extended partition.
Does this have advantages over keeping /bin, /sbin, /lib, /etc/, /usr, and
/opt together on the / partition?
Regards,
Smitty