RE: [SLUG] Kernel and RPMs

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 19:15:49 EDT

All of this brings more questions to my head. I am building up
a firewall at work to do some testing, this firewall is going to
be running on a little ast bravo, I think it is a 75mhz pentium,
it is a pentium just barely...

Now when you compile a kernel is it done on the machine you are
going to install it on or do you do it on another machine, I have
tried to install as little as possible on that machine so I am not
even sure I have all that I need to do a kernel.

When you build a kernel directed at a particular hardware set,
does the building process try to probe the hardware to determine
what is there or is it a manual process in which you supply that
hardware data?

In reading over the iptables documentation, it was pointed out
that a kernel compile for such machines was a very good thing,
and a list of reasons given. This will be my first jump into
this area (gotta learn sometime) and I figure that this one
should not be so complex as it is not going to have anything
but the firewall stuff on it. No X no nothing (well I do have
WebMin on it but that is about it) it is a RH install, and of
course it does appear that RH has loaded in a load of stuff I
probably do not need. We shall find out.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com