Re: [SLUG] Sendmail Woes... *WARNING* LONG POST!

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 10:26:49 EDT

I don't use mutt, but surely you can set it up to talk directly to the
ISP's mail daemon for outgoing email.

This is rough, for the brave or desparate. I will improve it soon.....

For configuring sendmail to forward through an isp's mailer, on RedHat
7.x or higher...

Back up /etc/mail/* to somewhere safe :-).

edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc thusly...
Add
define(`SMART_HOST', `my.ispmailer.com')
FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`myrealdomain.com')
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`myfakedomain.fake')
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(always_add_domain)
Cwmyhost.myfakedomain.fake

Add the dnl to this line
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

Run
m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

Add
myhost.myfakedomain.fake
to /etc/mail/generics-domains

cd to /etc/mail and run
make

Restart sendmail
service sendmail restart

check my mail headers and you will see evidence of this working.

Jim Wildman, CISSP jim@rossberry.com
http://www.rossberry.com