Re: [SLUG] Partitioning (Again?!)

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 01:49:01 EDT

>>>You could easily write a script that prompted you to run rsync whenever
>>>you ran "halt." I wonder if you could do that with a graphical manager
>>>like gdm? Probably...

>> Why not just add rsync into the shutdown script? (with a wait command)

> Could someone explain what shutdown means again? I've seen the word used
> on google groups regarding Microsoft machines, but I've never really
> grasped the concept!?

   When you shut down the computer one or more script files are run,
my comment was asking why one would add a new script file to the series
instead of adding a line to one of the existing shut down scripts.
(script file/s that shut down the operating system)

   To quote /etc/rc.d/rc.6 from my Slackware Ver 8.1 (without permission)
in part: (which has a symbolic link /etc/rc.d/rc.0 )
-
        - - - - -

echo "Running shutdown script $0:"

# Find out how we were called.
case "$0" in
        *0)
                command="halt"
                ;;
        *6)
                command=reboot
                ;;
        *)
                echo "$0: call me as \"rc.0\" or \"rc.6\" please!"
                exit 1

-
        - - - - -
        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm