Re: [SLUG] Vulnerability in formmail.pl

From: btt@nethouse.com
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 10:33:24 EDT

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:33:14PM -0400, Smitty wrote:
> I just got off irc and worked with a sysadmin there on a problem with
> formmail.pl in apache that allows a malicious third party to use the http
> daemon as a open relay.
> watched the spammer spew from 205.200.3.17 to the aol domain.
> Solution is to not use formmail.pl or edit it to clean up the regexs.

If you've found a formmail.pl script that's being heavily used for
spamming, you could sterilize the part that sends the message (I think
it is the send_mail() function or something) and instead have it write
to a logfile along with the contents of %ENV.

You could then report the abusers to their ISP or upstream or whatever
and get your revenge on. :)

Good luck...