Re: [SLUG] Derek's partitioning rant

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 18:02:46 EDT

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 23:01, Glen wrote:

> There's only one thing I disagree with here.. and it's minor:
>
> > anyone who installs software into (*shudder*) /home are maniacs who should
> > be kept away from computing equipment and anything with a point or a sharp
> > edge
>
> The pointy edge thing I understand, but that goes without saying anyway. I
> tend to install all these Loki games I bought just before The End Of The
> World (tm) in $HOME because I just get sick of having to su to install a game
> I'll probably remove in a few days anyway. Other than that, it sounds good
> but I tend to screw up my partition sizes, like 10 gig in /var (anyone else
> forget to think at an inopportune moment?) and get stuck with it because The
> Spouse uses the system too so they can't reinstall without MadPartner syndrom
> raising its ugly head. But this is desktop machine and stays that way.
>
> This giant sentence is complete.

Yeah? Well my sickness is considerably worse than that. On shared boxen
where I can't get my /local, /pkgs, and /data, I have a "pkg-home"
schema whereby packages are built in ~/pkgs, ~/data, and merged into ~
(like /u) as ~/bin, ~/etc, etc. My home directory start to look more
like a root directory than something someone would call /home. It's a
sickness: Derek tells me so on a daily basis.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com