Re: [SLUG] Netscape Equivalent of MS Data Access Components in IE?

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 18:43:28 EDT

John Clay wrote:
> Our company has a web based accounting system. Connection requires IE
> with MS Data Access Components and some changes to site settings within
> IE. I'd like to get Netscape or some other Linux based browser to be
> able to connect. Do any of you have any ideas as to whether or not
> Netscape has any equivalent to MSDAC and where "site settings" as
> implemented within IE can be manipulated?
>
> Thanks
> John Clay

This sounds like a non-starter, way too much incestuous code munging.
Does the accounting system expose any other kind of interface (XML,
CORBA, native database libs, Sockets, RPC, HTTP)? You might be able to
hook-up to the exposed database through something like iODBC or JDBC,
but that won't help you with the application code (of course, using a
different interface won't help you use that application code either, but
the app might come with an alternate web client?).

What kind of code is executing on the client (within IE) that would
depend upon these components? Is this a native Windows binary? A Java
applet that uses native Windows components?

--ronan