[SLUG] Can't find SAMBA shares using WAN

From: Carsten Dannat (suncoastlug@dannat.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 22:38:48 EDT

Hi all,
this is my first post in a mailing list and perhaps I'm not used to the
netiquette but I want to give it a try - here's my problem:

I'm a Linux newbie and just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a PC, which has
internet access using a WiFi Netgear MR314 cable router.
My laptop running win2k is able to see the Samba shares from within the
LAN, but I don't have access when I try to connect from the WAN port
over the internet.

I have enabled the router's port forwarding to the Linux machine, but
all I get when trying to map the share "\\xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt\public" using
WAN is "networkpath not found" on the laptop. A ping gets the response
from the IP address, even the apache server or VNC is accessable.

Any ideas what is going wrong, who's blocking access?

iptables and ipchains are not running - it shouldn't be a firewall problem?

I have no clue what I can check or how to detect where access is refused.

If this question was asked before, please give me a hint where to find
an answer.

Thanks for your help,
Carsten Dannat