[Fwd: Re: [SLUG] Can't find SAMBA shares using WAN]

From: Carsten Dannat (suncoastlug@dannat.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 13:00:12 EDT

Hi Ben,
sure, I meant 192.168.... and not 129.168... Interface between brain
and fingers needs some improvement ;-)

Ben Ostrowsky wrote:
>>Win2K can see the shares even when connected wireless.
>>The Linux Server has assigned a stattic IP address 129.168.xxx.yyy and
>>the Win2K laptop receives a dynamic IP address from the routers's DHCP
>>server.
>

> I'll assume you mean 192.168.xxx.yyy. :)
>
> Hypothesis: Translation to a private address causes the problem.
>
> Test: Configure the Linux server as a dhcp client and let it get a
> public, dynamic IP address. Let the Win2k machine have the static
> private address.

I'll try that, but I'm able to ping and connect from the internet (WAN)
to an http server or VNC server on the Linux machine - but I don't see
the shares. The Netgear router forwards all the ports to the linux box
which is assigned a static IP address.

Carsten