Re: [SLUG] #apropos filter yeilds only lpf: lpstat on a lpd printer yeilds jetdirect lpd: no entries??

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 18:24:27 EDT

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:01:00PM -0400, John Clay wrote:

> I'm still wrestling with my printer problem - and losing.
>
> I've used the RH tools to configure an lpd printer. The printer is setup
> for tcp/ip printing in general and it works with NT. Under Linux I send
> a test page and get no error pop up messages but the print job is being
> sent to a laserjet4v that is set up as a jetdirect printer. Other data
> are:
>
> #ps -ax
> shows that lpd is waiting
>
> #lpstat xerox1
> jetdirect lpd: no entries (whats with this? its set up to be lpd)
> #

Most likely means that there are no jobs waiting on the jetdirect.

> /var/spool/xerox1/status.lp is empty
> same for ......../status.xerox1
>
> /var/spool/xerox1/log is empty
> /var/spool/hp4bas/log is also empty
>
> #apropos filter
> shows that only printer filter is lpf but I've selected LPRng as my
> spooler so I ought to see that too - no?

Never heard of a printer filter lpf, but it has little to do with the
print daemon you're using. In fact, LPRng is supposed to be a drop in
replacement for the original lp daemon, so you may not see anything
referring to lprng by name.

> I never see a print job show up in the RH Print Administrator.

Honestly, skip the GUI stuff. You can use lpq to query the status of the
printer daemon and its jobs. You may have to call it as lpq -P
printername to make it work.

> Shouldn't I see messages in the log files in /var/spool/..... files?

I think lpd logs only to its own log files in, for instance:
/var/spool/lpd/name-of-printer/log.

> Contents of /etc/printcap - typed in this email
>
> xerox1:\
> :sh:\
> :ml=0:\
> :mx=0:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/xerox1:\
> :af=/var/spool/lpd/xerox1/xerox1.acct:\
> :rm=10.10.12.5:\
> :rp=lp:\
> :lpd_bounce=true:\
> :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

This printcap entry is missing the lp= entry. On my system, it's like
this:

:lp=/dev/lp0:\

This tell lpd where the device is. Check man printcap for more detail on
this entry. For a remote machine, it can be lp=port@host....

May not have anything to do with it, but it's missing (yes, I see the
rm= entry, but I'm not sure that's adequate). At the least, I would
guess that this printcap entry is incomplete or misconfigured.

> hp4bas:\
> :sh:\
> :ml=0:\
> :mx=0:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4bas:\
> :af=/var/spool/lpd/xerox1/hp4bas.acct:\
> :lp=/usr/share/printconf/util/jetdirectprint:\
> :lpd_bounce=true:\
> :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:
>
> If I select xerox1 for a print test page, the hp4bas (basement) gets it.
> Whats with that??

The hp4bas has an lp parameter and the xerox doesn't?

> Any hints as to how to proceed in troubleshooting this? I am clueless.

Sorry, I haven't really followed this thread, so I don't know what's
gone before. Hopefully, this will be of some help anyway.

Paul