[SLUG] #apropos filter yeilds only lpf: lpstat on a lpd printer yeilds jetdirect lpd: no entries??

From: John Clay (john.clay@lfr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 13:01:00 EDT

I'm still wrestling with my printer problem - and losing.

I've used the RH tools to configure an lpd printer. The printer is setup
for tcp/ip printing in general and it works with NT. Under Linux I send
a test page and get no error pop up messages but the print job is being
sent to a laserjet4v that is set up as a jetdirect printer. Other data
are:

#ps -ax
 shows that lpd is waiting

#lpstat xerox1
jetdirect lpd: no entries (whats with this? its set up to be lpd)
#

/var/spool/xerox1/status.lp is empty
same for ......../status.xerox1

/var/spool/xerox1/log is empty
/var/spool/hp4bas/log is also empty

#apropos filter
shows that only printer filter is lpf but I've selected LPRng as my
spooler so I ought to see that too - no?

I never see a print job show up in the RH Print Administrator.

Shouldn't I see messages in the log files in /var/spool/..... files?

Contents of /etc/printcap - typed in this email

xerox1:\
    :sh:\
    :ml=0:\
    :mx=0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/xerox1:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/xerox1/xerox1.acct:\
    :rm=10.10.12.5:\
    :rp=lp:\
    :lpd_bounce=true:\
    :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

hp4bas:\
    :sh:\
    :ml=0:\
    :mx=0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4bas:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/xerox1/hp4bas.acct:\
    :lp=/usr/share/printconf/util/jetdirectprint:\
    :lpd_bounce=true:\
    :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

If I select xerox1 for a print test page, the hp4bas (basement) gets it.
Whats with that??

Any hints as to how to proceed in troubleshooting this? I am clueless.

Thanks Much
John Clay