Re: [SLUG] partition changes

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 18:40:09 EDT

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 09:32:50AM -0400, Mikes work account wrote:

> I have two partitions on my data disk /dev/hd1. It has one primary and one
> logical partition. The primary partition is full.
>
> I want to move some of the free space on the logical paritition to the
> primary partition and with partition magic I cannot do that. Can I change
> the primary partition from primary to logical and then proceed to move the
> free space to the first partition? Can I then change it back to a primary
> partition? Or would I need to do that at all?

When you say "logical" partition, I assume you mean a logical partition
in an extended partition, since a logical drive has to be hosted by an
extended partition.

And no, I don't think you can change partitions that way, because of the
fundamental difference between primary and extended partitions.

And I assume that Partition Magic won't allow this because it doesn't
fully understand ext2 partitions. I think you should check out a program
(free under Linux) called parted. I've never used it, but I believe it
allows you to change partition boundaries, which is what you're really
looking to do.

Paul