Re: [SLUG] Wierd occurence

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 11:45:33 EDT

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Smitty wrote:

> I just moved a slug thread "partition changes" to the trash and now I cannot
> find it in the trash, but using a text editor can find it in the kmail trash
> file. It is there but will not display. I am using kmail 1.3.1
> Is this a bug or a feature? How do I fix it?
> Smitty

I've seen this kind of thing discussed on the Kmail list when I was
investigating similar things happening to mine. It seems there has been a
problem with the index files becoming corrupted. Stopping and starting
Kmail might fix it. I've also seen missing messages appear after
switching between folders or forcing a resort, by date or sender, for
instance. Another trouble-shooting tip they had was to delete the index
files and let Kmail recreate them the next time it gets launched. They
were talking about files like ~/Mail/.trash.index. Note that it is a
hidden "." file. There is an index file and maybe a sorted index file
for each folder you use. Please infer here all the normal caveats and
warnings about deleting application files, such as backing them up,
renaming them, not letting the application attempt to access or lock
them, etc.