Re: [SLUG] SuSE 8.1

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 09:21:24 EDT

Maybe you should do what I did to solve this problem.

First I recognized that no upgrade from any distribution was going t work very
well until the distributions stopped moving things around from one
distribution to another in their quest to form Linus unity and program
transformation from one distribution to another.

Second I purchased 2 interchangeable drawers for hard drives. You can get
these at Comp USA for about $20.00 each. I do not recommend the ones from
Thompson Computer or others although they are physically just as good because
there is a higher probability of my obtaining additional units from CompUSA
than there is from any other local supplier and the price is relative the
same.

Third I obtained Two 20 GB HD drives and one 80 GB drive. I mounted the two 20
GB drives in the two drawers.

Fourth I mounted one of the drawer holders in one of the case's front CD sized
holds and the 80 GB hard drive permanently inside.

Fifth I set the cables such that the 20 GB drive located in the drawer was hda
and the 80 GB was hdb.

Seventh I install one operating system on one of the 20 GB hard drives with
the following partations:
hda1 boot 100 MB
hda2 / 7 GB
hda3 /home 7 GB
hda4 /root 1 GB
hda5 swap 1 GB
hdb1 data 80GB

All data is stored on drive hdb the 80 GB.

As for as users. Physically there is only one - me so I only realistic need
one user but in reality I have three.

First is root (Not a user but still a user with super powers hence the
separate partition).
Second is trunk (the first real user).
Third is branch (a back up user).
Fourth is twig (a dummy user).

I know a number of people would greatly disagree with this breakdown of
partitions and users but it provides one major positive advantage. Note if I
was to do this again I might set it up slightly differently but I doughty it.

I can install the system in the morning, trash it in the afternoon, and
reinstall it that night with out disturbing my data or my screen
configuration. Installation of a RH7.3 system from full crash to full
operation is about 4 hours including coffee time - about 15 minutes to start
setup and configure, about 3 1/2 program installation ( I install all
programs it is easer and I have the drive space) and about 30 clean up on the
back end. This would go faster if I did spend so much time doing other things
that I would change disk at the correct times.

And! With my Linux ability you had best believe that that is one hell of and
advantage because repairs to much of this when I trash it are next to
impossible for me.

Why two 20 GB hard drives and the drawers? Simple I install one system on one
hard drive make it work the way I want and keep it then when I desire to
change or up grade I do it on the other system. The first hard drive is used
until the second one functions correctly at which point the first is upgraded
to the status of the first.

Now in order to keep both /root and /home the sane I simply pass data from one
to the other on hdb1.

I haven't tried this between different distributions like Red Hat and Suse yet
but I have done it numerous times between the sane level of the same
distribution notably RH 7.0, 7.1, 7.2. and 7.3. I have also used this setup
to transfer between RN 7.0 and 7.1 and 7.2 and 7.3.

Thanks

Frank