Re: [SLUG] SuSE 8.1

From: sanity (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 13:00:12 EDT

--- Frank Roberts - SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> First I recognized that no upgrade from any distribution was going t work
> very well

Yes. I know it's cruel, but I laugh at anyone who tries to upgrade an OS.
I've know better since I was 16 (four years ago).

> Second I purchased 2 interchangeable drawers for hard drives. You can get
> these at Comp USA for about $20.00 each. I do not recommend the ones from
> Thompson Computer or others although they are physically just as good because

<snip>
> Third I obtained Two 20 GB HD drives and one 80 GB drive. I mounted the two
> 20 GB drives in the two drawers.
>
> Fourth I mounted one of the drawer holders in one of the case's front CD
> sized holds and the 80 GB hard drive permanently inside.
>
> Fifth I set the cables such that the 20 GB drive located in the drawer was
> hda and the 80 GB was hdb.

Crazy! Instead of all that... just open the computer, hook up another harddrive
(you don't have to screw it in or anything, just slap the ribbon cable on and
get going!), tell the BIOS to auto-detect it, mount it from your current os,
copy your data onto it. Now fry the old OS, install the new one, then get the
data back, obviously! Then disconnect the drive and you're done.

--j