Re: [SLUG] Zope vs PostNuke

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 11:27:17 EDT

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:01, Ronan Heffernan wrote:
> It looks like I might have a part-time job doing a mid-sized website
> (lots of active content), and the boss is leaning towards PostNuke.
> Does anyone have experience with PostNuke? Russell is doing a Zope
> presentation tonight (which I definitely need to attend), and after
> having skimmed PostNuke, I suspect that Zope might be a better choice.
> It would be really great to talk to someone who has used both Zope and
> PostNuke.

After wasting quite some time fighting with Zope, DHTML, and the
python-pickle monster that is ZODB, I'm particularly partial to
PostNuke. Both of my home dynamic sites run on PostNuke now, and I'm
VERY happy with them.

I suppose it would depend on what you're attempting to do with it.

If you want a very modular php4 based website with a SQL backend that is
meant to be a very configurable pre-canned site engine and don't care
about content rollbacks, PostNuke rocks.

If you want a python based website with hooks for easy extensibility in
python or perl, but with a horrid DTML in-site content language with a
cludgy simple admin interface and a painful inefficient database backend
for large binary files (but with a nice rollback feature), Zope might be
for you. Yeah, you can use other database backends other than ZODB's
self-corrupting native python-pickle monstrosity, but that key rollback
feature suffers as a result.

Sure, native Webdav is nice too - but I can do that far more efficiently
with mod_dav in Apache.

I've tried designing a site in Zope - even ran blenke.com on it for a
short while. Know where all that content is now? Gone.

This is but one more reason I dislike Python (there are a number of
other reasons as well, which I will not get into here)

I have no love for Zope. Not anymore.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com