Re: [SLUG] Zope vs PostNuke

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:26:21 EDT

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:01, Ronan Heffernan wrote:
> It looks like I might have a part-time job doing a mid-sized website
> (lots of active content), and the boss is leaning towards PostNuke.
> Does anyone have experience with PostNuke? Russell is doing a Zope
> presentation tonight (which I definitely need to attend), and after
> having skimmed PostNuke, I suspect that Zope might be a better choice.
> It would be really great to talk to someone who has used both Zope and
> PostNuke.

They're really only superficially similar.

PostNuke is designed as more of a canned web content management system
(or "weblog" if you want to use that filthy word; this is the one and
only time you'll EVER hear me use it) that you install and start
using. There are a number of add-on modules that add extra features,
but most everything you'd want for just a basic slashdot-esque news site
is there already and working. You *can* write your own modules in PHP
if there is something you want it to do that it doesn't do already, but
having set up a couple of PostNuke sites myself, I have yet to write a
single line of code to support them. You will need a MySQL database to
run PostNuke however. (There are attempts at genericising the required
database so you can use anything, but at the moment, you're stuck using
MySQL until that work is complete. Not that there's anything
particularly wrong with MySQL, but some people prefer other things.)

Zope, on the other hand, is really an application platform that can be
made to do any number of things, including acting as a web content
system. It's been a while since I've messed with Zope, so whether or
not it does this sort of thing out-of-the-box or if you have to download
a Zope module for it, I'm not sure. Chances are, you'll have to install
a specific application to turn your Zope server into a web content
system. Zope is itself written in Python, so it's easiest to extend it
with Python, but it also has its own DHTML system that is a tag-based
"language" that lets you do some basic dynamic stuff without writing any
"real" code. Zope has its own datastore that all the content lives in,
not in the filesystem and database like PostNuke, so on the one hand,
there's no database setup, but on the other hand, you've gotta do a lot
more work to actually be able to talk to a database with Zope if you
don't want to use the built-in datastore for whatever reason.

They're both nice systems, used by plenty of people. If you just want
to install it and get it working and tweak the look-and-feel, then use
PostNuke. If you want to write it yourself and control every little
aspect of the site, use Zope.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/