Re: [SLUG] LILO or GRUB - request for comments

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 23:16:30 EDT

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:01:10PM -0400, Smitty wrote:

> I request comments from those who have used both boot loaders as to
> advantages
> and disadvantages.
> Smitty

Lilo is relatively inflexible when it comes to recovering from a
mis-boot. Grub provides its own command line and command set for
tinkering while/as you boot. Also, lilo must be re-run every time a
change is made to a kernel, etc., because it has to refigure offsets and
such for booting. Grub does not need to be rerun when changes are made.
It understands ext2 (and other) filesystems natively, and so can find
the file without having to have it compiled into the bootloader.

That said, though, I still run lilo, because I haven't taken the time to
learn how to edit grub's config file. ;-}

Paul