Re: [SLUG] LILO or GRUB - request for comments

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 01:26:09 EDT

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 23:16, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:01:10PM -0400, Smitty wrote:
>
> > I request comments from those who have used both boot loaders as to
> > advantages
> > and disadvantages.
> > Smitty
>
> Lilo is relatively inflexible when it comes to recovering from a
> mis-boot. Grub provides its own command line and command set for
> tinkering while/as you boot. Also, lilo must be re-run every time a
> change is made to a kernel, etc., because it has to refigure offsets and
> such for booting. Grub does not need to be rerun when changes are made.
> It understands ext2 (and other) filesystems natively, and so can find
> the file without having to have it compiled into the bootloader.
>
> That said, though, I still run lilo, because I haven't taken the time to
> learn how to edit grub's config file. ;-}
>
> Paul

I claim pure laziness...

        I only have one machine of 15 (my machines are all Linux) I need to
dual boot: my laptop. So I use LILO. Its basically up to you. If
LILO does what you need, then so be it. I have never used GRUB, so it
may be laden with features you may require. On my laptop, I installed
Debian and Windoze 2k, so I hit the shift key (tab, I believe, for other
distros) if I need to boot Windoze and arrow down. (Woody on the
Debian version.)
        All things in Linux allow you to have a choice. I recommend reading
everything you can about LILO and GRUB, give them both a whirl, and then
make a choice of your own. Heh, and possibly posting your results
here. Then, we all learn.

Hoping to stay in town long enough to make a second meeting in Sarasota,
Logan

--
01:10:01 up 80 days, 16:46, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.13, 0.33
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_104.html