RE: [SLUG] A little help here please, corected

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 16:08:35 EDT

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Mikes work account wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade pam-0.74-22 to pam-0.75.14 (needed to upgrade
> util-linux to vs 2.11n-85 ( which is needed to upgrade the
> initscripts-6.41-85 which is needed to compile my 2.4.18.4 kernel.
>
> I have tried everything I can think of: install, Upgrade, force install,
> force Upgrade and when I do my rpm -qa to see if pam has been upgraded, it
> still says pam-0.74-22. I have tried unsuccessfully to remove pam-0.74
> first,,well you can forget that with all the dependencies :o)

As a causal developer, why did you not just run:

   up2date -u

and let it figure out the update dependencies? The
Debianistas have no patent on automatic dependency resolution.
<smile>

Executive summary is:
One just cannot be sure at this point from your description

1. Swap in the back up machine to continue production
2. Save /etc /root /home /var to backup media
3. Reinstall from distribution media on the hosed machine
4. Merge the backed-up /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/groups
/etc/gshadow paying special attention to accounts numbered
less than 500, ensuring that all needed system accounts are
present
5. Move /root /home and /var content as needed
6. Resolve to NEVER again use --force or --nodeps without
consulting a RPM guru first

This gets you to a known state. The use of --force and
--nodeps are so dangerous that warnings should be printed in
red in a man page <smile>.

While analysis and recovery are possible with rpm --rebuilddb
and rpm -Va and rpm -V `rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n'` loops, it is
not worth the time unless the host is not otherwise
recoverable.

Development __has__ to occur on machines you are willing to
wipe and reinstall at a moment's notice. I have a spare p-200
with 64 meg which I picked up for $100, which I re-install
several times a week during beta testing; development as root
(which is your case if you needed these packages for new
kernel building) is the same.

Anything else wastes your time in a recovery expedition.

-- Russ Herrold