Re: [SLUG] Red Hat 8.0

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 22:18:06 EDT

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 09:30, you wrote:
> I stand converted...
>
> Last night I installed RH8.0 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (PIII
> 900MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB Drive. Since I am working on my RHCE I
> installed EVERYTHING (as a server) so I can use it while on the road to
> boost my skills.
>
> It installed FLAWLESSLY, and has performed without a hitch. With SuSE,
> there were some issues, but I was able to get around them.

I did a fresh install of SuSE 8.1 and had no problems at all. The only
problem seems to be in the upgrade from a previous version: Firmware of
certain cdroms can cause problems and, after the fact, the directory and file
changes after SuSE's LSB compliance, requires a manual cleanup.

> I have not
> yet found anything wrong.
>
> I am amazed at how easy it was for the laptop. Of all the distros I
> have tried thus far, this one had the fewest issues. And something else
> seems to be true as well...it seems to run faster than the SuSE I had
> installed.
It would be better to benchmark them, Dave, than give an offhand opinion.
They would have to run the same kernel, SuSE 8.1 uses 2.4.19 and RH 8.0 uses
2.4.18, and run the same daemons, run the same file systems, etc.