Re: [SLUG] Linux Games (was RH 8.0 install)

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 00:27:19 EDT

Thus spake Logan on the 17 day of the 10 month in the year 2002:
> Arrrgh!!! Freeciv!!! If I could have back the countless hours I have
> lost to that great game. I wish I could beat the computer just one time
> though! Everytime an newer version comes out, it is more difficult to
> defeat. To me, it seems all the free games I enjoy, just completely
> demolish me. Freeciv and Nethack. I have yet to win/beat either and
> thats the reason I love them.

I've had a bit better luck playing with FreeCiv, although I rarely put
it on the extra-hard "Please kill me now" setting. The key is to expand
a bunch, and start a new game if you're not winning after an hour. (If
you're not winning this early, you're /going/ to loose. ;-)

The newer versions have some sort of cute feature that allows you to let
the computer manage your city states based on how you weigh various city
attributes. You'll be able to do a better job micro-managing, but after
15 or so cities, you won't want to micro-manage any longer. This mostly
fixes the biggest complaint I hear about the commercial Civ games...namely
they don't scale. Besides, it's far better to let your computer
micro-manage, and you manage the nukes and bombers. :-)

One of the best features is that you can alter your player from "human" to
something like "medium computer". After you're dominating and get
bored, you can let the AI finish your rivals off while you're eating
dinner. (This sort of reminds me of something I read about about setting
up scripts to manage your virtual tamagatchi...which seems just plain
wrong as well.)

--
Matthew Moen

Outlook is as attractive to email viruses as a heap of dead and rotting cows is to a fly. So long as that maggot-filled pile of corpses is there, swatting at the flies isn't going to work. Alan Bellingham, SDM