Re: [SLUG] Welcome Back

From: Robert Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 00:33:06 EDT

> > Anyway, got a minor problem for the sluggers:
> >
> > Upgraded Mozilla from 1.0 to 1.1. Have lost all of my plug-ins
> > and helper applications. Can anybody supply me the soft links
> > that I need to get this thing working properly again?

 Hi Gnorb, thanks for replying. you stated:

> Unfortunatelly, this tends to be normall with Mozilla (or so has
> been my experience). If you use RPM, forget that I'm writing this.

Nope, used the tarball

> When you do the Mozilla upgrade, you choose what directory you
> would like to install it to. Normally, you'd pick where the older
> version was (example: /PATH/mozilla/). Remember when the installer
> asks you if you'd like to delete this file in order to install?
> Well, that's just what the installed does, delete the old directory
> - plugins and all (I've been irked by this many a times). There is
> a directory within the mozilla directory called "plugins"
> (/PATH/mozilla/plugins/) which contains all plugins. Next time you
> upgrade, you might want to first back this directory up (type 'tar
> cvzf plugins.tgz plugins/'), place the new *.tgz file in a safe
> place, then proceed with the upgrade. After the upgrade is done,
> move the *.tgz file back to into /PATH/mozilla/ (type 'mv
> plugins.tgz /PATH/mozilla/') and then expand it (type 'tar xvzf
> plugins.tgz'). That should take care of it for you.

Thanks for that info. Filed away for future reference. Doesn't help me
much now because the plugin directory has only the one plugin in it.

> As for the soft links, I don't know why, but when you upgrade, it
> seems that mozilla cuts off whatever links there were, so you have
> to re-link them.

So what you are saying is what I believe, that you must find the
directory where the other plugins are and link them to Mozilla

> The path to the mozilla binary is
> /PATH/mozilla/mozilla (which I just link all my stuff to directly,

binary or script? my path is /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla which is the
script that launches the program

> but some programs look for the /usr/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin path).
> To fix the link, first find out where your soft link resides
> currently (type 'which mozilla')

which mozilla produces nothing and returns me to the command line.
Don't know why, but that is another problem

> and then run the soft-link command
> (type 'ln -s /PATH/TO/bin/mozilla
> /PATH/mozilla/mozilla').

I don't understand that link command or it's purpose. Link
/bin/mozilla to mozilla/mozilla ??

> All the other stuff (like mozilla mail) is
> just an argument. Get in a command line and type 'mozilla -mail' or
> 'mozilla -addressbook' and you'll see that the program starts with
> that part of the application. Type 'mozilla -help' for more
> information.

Not worried about the other stuff. Thanks for replying

Bob S.