Re: [SLUG] Welcome Back

From: Norbert Cartagena (gnorb@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 13:20:04 EDT

> Anyway, got a minor problem for the sluggers:
>
> Upgraded Mozilla from 1.0 to 1.1. Have lost all of my plug-ins
> and helper applications. Can anybody supply me the soft links
> that I need to get this thing working properly again?

Unfortunatelly, this tends to be normall with Mozilla (or so has been my
experience). If you use RPM, forget that I'm writing this.

When you do the Mozilla upgrade, you choose what directory you would
like to install it to. Normally, you'd pick where the older version was
(example: /PATH/mozilla/). Remember when the installer asks you if you'd
like to delete this file in order to install? Well, that's just what the
installed does, delete the old directory - plugins and all (I've been
irked by this many a times). There is a directory within the mozilla
directory called "plugins" (/PATH/mozilla/plugins/) which contains all
plugins. Next time you upgrade, you might want to first back this
directory up (type 'tar cvzf plugins.tgz plugins/'), place the new *.tgz
file in a safe place, then proceed with the upgrade. After the upgrade
is done, move the *.tgz file back to into /PATH/mozilla/ (type 'mv
plugins.tgz /PATH/mozilla/') and then expand it (type 'tar xvzf
plugins.tgz'). That should take care of it for you.

As for the soft links, I don't know why, but when you upgrade, it seems
that mozilla cuts off whatever links there were, so you have to re-link
them. The path to the mozilla binary is /PATH/mozilla/mozilla (which I
just link all my stuff to directly, but some programs look for the
/usr/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin path). To fix the link, first find out where
your soft link resides currently (type 'which mozilla') and then run the
soft-link command (type 'ln -s /PATH/TO/bin/mozilla
/PATH/mozilla/mozilla'). All the other stuff (like mozilla mail) is just
an argument. Get in a command line and type 'mozilla -mail' or 'mozilla
-addressbook' and you'll see that the program starts with that part of
the application. Type 'mozilla -help' for more information.

Hope that this helps.

Gnorb