Re: [SLUG] Derek's partitioning rant

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 17:06:24 EDT

On Saturday 19 October 2002 16:33, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> Folks,
> I have a 82m Hd that I am going to build a small server around
> It will handle mail and some personal files for about 5 people.

82M (Megabytes) or 82G (Gigabytes)? I haven't seen 80M drives in a decade.

> How would you partition the thing, this is getting into territory
> that I have not really handled before.

You use your Linux distributions installer. It should come with a partitioning
utility like fdisk, cfdisk, or something similar. Some distributions take
care of it for you depending on what type of installation you choose.

> Next question, I get the mail from rr.com, I would like to set
> up a mail server that will handle that, and then the local users
> will just connect to it and pull their mail. This too is getting
> into totally new territory, I am sure this is going to elicit some
> sort of "This is better than that" but I have got to figure out
> how to do it and set it up, I want to hear the good/bad/ugly about
> all of it.

That's what HOWTOs are for. And FAQs. If you come across something you simply
cannot find the answer to, consider asking the hundreds of people on this
list. Otherwise, I'd avoid asking such general questions. Really, your first
goal should probably be to understand how email works first.

        http://www.tldp.org/

For pulling pop3 mail from RoadRunner for a number of accounts, check out
Fetchmail. As for serving mail to people: POP3 or IMAP over SSL, or an SSLed
Webmail interface? There are a number of ways you CAN do this. The real
question is what are you trying to accomplish, and what methods should you
use to real those goals.

Try reading a few of the HOWTOs and then ask more specific questions if things
seem vague or unclear.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com