[SLUG] Nightmare on hosting street

From: Darr Palmer (darr@darrpalmer.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 07:20:58 EDT

Slightly off list, but I need help. I have a client that has opted to
move their hosting in house. They are currently with a company called
Village Circle out of Brandon. We have started the Registar change
process, but the guy running this outfit is either incompetent or
looking for revenge against this client for daring to move off of his
site.

On Thursday we asked them to change the IP of the site in the records of
their nameservers, and was not planning on changing the registrar, the
client was reluctant to completely pull the rug out from under this
individual, but their needs have outgrown his capabilites. The hosting
company agreed, took the information and said it would be done in a
couple of hours. Instead he shut off the web site and email, but left
the nameservers still pointing to the turned off sites.

On Friday after several phone calls and of course his blaming the people
at the clients location for all of this he put the site back up, but
came up with an excuse for not being able to put email back on.
At this point we started the registrar change process to get control
back of the sites, but as of this morning, it is still not completed

On Saturday he shut the site down again, not answering phone, and as far
as I can tell the nameservers are still pointing at the turned off site.

I have everything ready for the change, that should have taken only a
couple of hours. But instead here it is 4 days later and they are still
off line.

If anybody knows of any tricks to push the IP address off of his
nameservers and onto the new ones (besides the inevitable 24 to 48 hour
registrar change process) please let me know.

This website belongs to a community help group in the greater tampa bay
area. Not only has this persons actions disrupted the internal
functions of this organization, but he has potentially denied life
saving information to residents in need in this area.

Sorry for bombing the list.

Please contact me at 727-422-4488 if you have any suggestions.

Darr Palmer