Re: [SLUG] File descriptor leak ?

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 09:15:30 EDT

Ed Centanni wrote:
> Uh... nevermind. It's the Name Server Cache Daemon (nscd) and
> restarting it will clear them out. Anybody know how to stop them from
> building up?
>
> Ed.
>
> Ed Centanni wrote:
>
>> How does one acquire a bunch of "orphaned" (no associated process pid)
>> udp connections or more importantly -- how does one get rid of them
>> without a reboot. The limit is around 1024 before the machine goes
>> squirrelly. I'm been doing a lot of dns lookups and I suspect that is
>> the cause.

I don't know why netstat is show "ESTABLISHED" connections. UDP is
connectionless and stateless. Maybe netstat is presenting you with a
history of received packets? *NIX doesn't even know when an incomming
packet is "in response to" a previous outgoing packet, versus being an
unsolicited incoming UDP packet.

--ronan