Re: [SLUG] backends for Pine

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 18:57:13 EDT

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:34:50PM -0400, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> Do any of you use and like any backends for Pine, other than sendmail?
>
> I took one look at the sendmail.cf file and vomited on my keyboard.
> After I replaced it (the keyboard), I took a gander at Qmail, but
> I'm curious about some others that folks have had experience with.
> I'm just looking for POP3 retrieval for now, but IMAP and others
> would be neat features as well.
>
> I'd even take an easy-to-use configuration tool for sendmail, if
> you've got one.

Ha ha hee hee ho ho! An "easy-to-use configuration tool for sendmail"!
ROTFL!

Ahem.

You should _not_ edit the sendmail.cf file unless you have to. Edit the
sendmail.mc file instead and rebuild the sendmail.cf file via the
instructions which are probably contained in the sendmail.mc file. Even
then, you need degrees in Rocket Science and Advanced Xenobiology to
know what's going on. You can buy the 2" thick O'Reilly book on
sendmail, if you are degreeless. ;-}

Exim and Postfix are simpler-to-configure alternatives to sendmail.
Qmail is widely used, but it is encumbered by its author's odd ideas
about "open source". That is, he doesn't allow redistributed source
which he himself has not modified. You can hack the code all you want,
but you can't give the mods to anyone else.

All that being said, Pine doesn't use sendmail or any other MTA out of
the box. It negotiates directly with the remote SMTP server. It may be
that it can be modified to use a separate MTA via its config file, but I
don't know, and have never done it. I use mutt, which does use an MTA to
send mail, and is extremely configurable.

Paul