[SLUG] Star Office 6.0 & 5.2 Importation of MS Office Documents

From: Clay, John (John.Clay@lfr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 16:16:31 EDT

Question for those who have used both Star Office 6.0 and 5.2 - Does 6.0
import MS Office files better than 5.2? My limited experience with importing
Office 97 files into 5.2 can be summarized as follows:

* Basic .doc files come in pretty well - page breaks, headers and
footers can be off but the basic layout of the paragraphs is generally OK
* .xls files that use only regular lines look and work fine but
rounded boxes, outlines with varying line widths and more "arty"
accoutrements don't do so well. Formulas work OK.
* Imported Power Point slides aren't really acceptable.

If 6.0 is significantly better at importation of Office documents I'd sure
like to know it.

Thanks

John Clay
Tallahassee, FL