Re: [SLUG] backends for Pine

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 19:36:57 EDT

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:13:28AM -0500, Glenn Meyer wrote:

> Did I miss a memo somewhere? I didn't know sendmail had such a reputation.
>
> I am an NT admin. About 18 months ago, I started looking at Linux (now
> I have seen the light).
>
> During my reformation, I wanted to setup my own domain including hosting
> my own mail. I found a magazine article that gave me everything I
> needed in just a couple of pages. I have been using Sendmail with POP3
> and IMAP for more than a year with NO issues at all. Take a look at
> this article....
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5507

Yeah, you missed the memo. Sendmail _does_ have such a reputation. Now,
if you want to do something relatively straightforward with it, it's not
too hard to hack it. But when I needed to do something I _thought_ was
relatively simple, I struggled for months/years with it off and on, and
have never been able to make it work right for what I needed.

I'm not saying sendmail's bad, mind you. But it does have a bad rep for
configuration difficulty.

Paul