Re: [SLUG] backends for Pine

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 08:44:30 EDT

> Yeah, you missed the memo. Sendmail _does_ have such a reputation. Now,
> if you want to do something relatively straightforward with it, it's not
> too hard to hack it. But when I needed to do something I _thought_ was
> relatively simple, I struggled for months/years with it off and on, and
> have never been able to make it work right for what I needed.
>
> I'm not saying sendmail's bad, mind you. But it does have a bad rep for
> configuration difficulty.
>
> Paul

Sendmail also has a reputation for bad security. This is partly
justified, in that many security holes have been found in sendmail (and
quickly patched). And the complexity of configuration can mean that
admins configure their sendmail incorrectly, resulting in weak security.
  Many professional (highly skilled) sysadmins will tell you that it is
possible to run sendmail securely, but it looks like the price of
security is eternal vigilance. If you are not going to invest a lot of
time configuring and maintaining your mail server, look at qmail.

--ronan